Saturday, May 14, 2011

Five Frames.


Along with first pass/final pass one of the earliest rules I learned as an animator was very simple and very important: Keep your poses 5 frames apart. Our art director at the time was more like a lead animator and he stressed this idea upon me any time I handed off an animation. I have worked this way for ten years and rarely adjust timing because of it.

Whether at 30 frames per second or 60 this workflow will ensure that your files are clean and well organized and, over time, surprisingly precise. The basic idea is to think, "Where does this character need to be in 5 frames?"

Once you start to think in 5 frame snippets you will begin to see a marked improvement in your posing as well as your timing. The amount of frames between keys will show you exactly enough information for adjustments. If you stop playback somewhere between your keys and the pose doesn't look good you either need an in-between, more frames, or need to rethink the bookend poses.

The 5 frame rule also helps me animate from start to finish without having to revisit sections or go back in to the middle of a file. I'm constantly thinking about where the next pose needs to be and simply shaping it out of the pose that came before. In this way I'm very minimalist with my keys(though most animators should not be). If something moves, it gets keyed. If it doesn't change, I might not key it at all (Very true of feet) and can instead stay focused on the moving parts. If I need to go back and move something static later I know that it's safe to key it on a multiple of 5 because everything else is. When an animation is finished only then do I bother making nice clean rows of keys for every control but, for the most part, all the controls already are in nice, clean rows every 5th frame.

Animating from start to finish also means that my poses flow kinematically into one another. There is only so much change that can happen in 5 frames and pulling the next pose from the one before it leads to better, smoother arcs. Some people may argue that animating this way eliminates secondary motion but that's entirely untrue. Smart posing includes secondary motion. You are constantly working in moving arcs that pass through points (key poses) at varying speeds that you can control. When you define the speed of the "in" and the "out" you don't need to add extra keys. Adjusting your curves later on can only improve how much or how little secondary motion occurs.

Of course there are moments that need to snap on a frame or animations that require different timing or in-betweens but, generally speaking, posing across 5 frames is a great organizational time saver. Every project I have worked on always has that one animator who keys on ticks or percentages of a frame. I hate that guy. 5 frame animating eliminates that guy. It ensures your files will be clean and easy to adjust. It will also make you faster not having to worry about where your keys are. Another benefit of this method is that it becomes clear to others how your file is organized. Other animators won't have to figure out why there is a sea of keys on every frame because you moved a toe or adjusted a foot in an off key. As a final bonus designers will be able to see your poses better and break down where to add their magic, too. Cleaner animation leads to better work all the way down the pipe.

Strangely enough this concept somewhat mirrors Japanese animation, which is often animated on 4s. To save time and money less frames are used for animation which forces animators to work in smarter, cleaner poses. Less space to communicate ideas results in a need for clearer language of motion. Denying yourself the ability to do in-betweens will force you to be clearer in your language, too.

If you still doubt this workflow, take a messy file with a lot of keys and grab all the controls. Key them all every 5 frames and delete anything in between. You'll be surprised how little the animation changes.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Michael,
    Since Kevin Freeman's challenge to change up workflow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEPeCuUgREI) I've been wondering how I can do that. Your workflow seems like a good opportunity for me to step outside of my comfort zone.
    Normally, I would adjust my keys on the timeline to get the timing down (never on a fraction of a frame :), but this would mean adjusting the poses instead. Besides thinking about where the character needs to be in 5 frames, do you plan more for timing, with say, thumbnails or reference?
    I think this is going to be a challenge for me to think more about the timing up front, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gareth. Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough but it's always important to be flexible in your workflow, I just happen to work this way the majority of the time. Any special or unique situation will always require you to be adaptable.
    I probably don't plan as much as I should but generally plow through poses as I go. I use reference when I need it, but with the God of War series it was hard to find reference for any of our weird creatures. It's just a matter of knowing how much you can move the character, a little bit of luck, and a ton of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although i really enjoyed your post, i don't fully agree....

    The concept is good, but hear this.,

    you add a keyframe every five keys, it works, that's nice. Then you need and inbetween... and now you're stuck! you have no half or middle to put it in! you end up with two frames on one side, three on the other...

    What if you needed that inbetween right in the middle?

    I have been following the same concept that you talked about with a twist:
    I either put my keys on 4s, or 6s.

    that way if i need an inbetween between 4 frames, i can put it right in the middle. On six, even better, i can chose to put it in the middle, or on 2, leaving me with a spare 4 frame gap, that i can subdivide again...

    Does that make sence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael,
    I do appreciate to pick up cleaned shot, and I try to keep my scene clean as well.
    It's for sure that keep keys on every 5 frame is a good way to keep keys organized, and train us to work smarter as well.
    Just have some questions here, did you keep keys on every 5 frame until the final pass? is it also apply to facial polishing? What if there is an impact need to take place in certain frame? or some blink happened faster than 5 frame? or some jiggling, shacking as texture animation? do you pull the tangents to adjust timing between 5 frames? and how you keep organize if the extreme poses which happen between 5 frames?
    Thank you very much by sharing your experience, I certainly enjoy to read it and learn different workflow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting guys. I'm beginning to think I didn't explain myself well enough on this one because the 5 frame rule is really just a place to start. I have gotten so used to the workflow that I really don't do much timing adjustment and simply "feel" how to pose in 5 frame chunks. I've said before that in-betweens are unnecessary in 3D animation and I stand by that. Anything within the 5 frames is really a new key pose. Occasionally I will add footfalls that are irregular, but typically don't need to.

    Also, as I've said, you control the ins and outs of your motion. Therefore you won't ever need to worry about a key being exactly in the middle of two poses.

    The main point of the article was that if you keep cleaner files it benefits everyone. If you are animating by sliding individual keys around you are doing it wrong. 3D animation is all about key poses and your files should look representative of that (Think single sheets of paper with a key pose). The interpolation is all handled by the program. You don't need to get involved so long as you guide it to aid in what you want.

    As for facial animation that's an entirely different monster, and one that requires keys all over the place. As such face controls are kept in a separate, unique selection set.

    Thanks for readin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the clarify! I'll give this a try for my next shot for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!

    I completely agree with you and I've been working this way since I read Keith Lango's Pose to Pose tutorial about 10 years ago. Sometimes I animate on 3s or 4s because in game animation sometimes you only get 12-15 frames for a run cycle.

    http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks much. That lango post is pretty damn awesome itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Michael. I also use a very similar workflow. And like you mentioned, it's a way to get a good foundation that will allow you to tweak and polish easily. I'll sometimes have a hold that might be 10 frames apart or have keys on every frame for the fast parts. You're polish pic of the dopesheet looks a lot like mine as well. Keys are offset, but you can still see where the main poses are in case you need to alter an animation. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice write up. I love reading other animators workflows. Also very similar to how I work. I tend to keep my key poses 5 frames apart to keep them clean and separated but then move them around to adjust for timing. End result isn't as evenly spaced but most keys are stamped on the same frame. Tell Napoli I said whats up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for readin, folks. glad to see others use a similar work flow. had a review the other day and my lead asked how i am so fast. partly because of the workflow, but also because its all straight ahead posing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you post some examples of how this workflow works? Like a quick video.of a kick or a GOW 50 FRAME Example?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Darrin, I'm tryin to get a copy of Premiere so I can post the appropriate copyright on my playblasts. I also don't animate at home, as strange as that may sound. As for kicks, Kratos really only has the one for pushblocks(he doesnt look good kicking so we try to avoid that). Also, bringing up the title of your blog, strangely enough I used to be called "Jack of all trades, master of none." I tried my hand at many different disciplines, including modeling, effects, cameras, animation, and level design. Eventually I had to define what I was best at and where I belonged, which was animating. That's not to say I wasn't good at other things, but animation is what I was truly best at(aside from giving my opinion).
    In any event, the workflow really isn't the important part. It's about recognizing that 3d animation is a lot like 2d, with the major difference than in-betweens are largely unnecessary. If you think about your key poses like individual drawings, the software takes care of interpolation as if you have automatic in-betweens. That's probably the most important thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay... I'll try that...... Hey, Thanks for Checking my Blog... Its not much of anything yet.. Animation I feel is my thorn in my side but I love it Like Character design (which is even worse) I want to create characters just as bad as I want to see them move.. I'm sure animation would be more of a fit because I truly suck at other 3d endeavors but I will continue to try... Really appreciate your thoughts though.. Maybe you can continue to check back when I actually put something up.. I Will most definitely consider your approach to first pass/final pass though.. I always like hearing others approaches and giving them a shot.. Maybe we can get an example soon (as well as myself).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eventually I'll wrangle some videos of my own to put up. In the meantime, and I can't stress this enough, working on 2d skills drastically improves 3d skills. Even stick figure gestures will make you think about motion more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael. I've visited this blog many times since this post, hoping that you might have made a video showing the way you work. I'd be very interested to see your workflow. If you are considering requests like this, it would be really awesome. Thanks for sharing your views on the blog. They are quite helpful.

      Delete